Saturday, November 3, 2012

Basic About Me


I am going to  begin my first post on my professional blog as a basic bio including how I got into birthwork as well as my training. I look forward to this adventure as I really enjoy writing and birth.

BIOGRAPHY





    My name is DyAnna Gordon. I was always drawn to the wonder of birth and was able to witness my first miracle at the age of 11. I am the mother of four children born at a hospital and at home. Their births have helped me to realize the potential of what I am capable and focus the importance of everything I believe. 

    While getting my Bachelors degree in Psychology I once again found myself drawn to the miracle of pregnancy and birth.  I focused my study on issues of pregnancy (prenatal and postpartum depression) and human and child development, and women's studies as well as completing all my pre-nursing requirements.  After the birth of my first child I trained and Certified with Doulas of North America (DONA) as a birth doula.  I soon became a Childbirth and Post Partum Association (CAPPA) and Bradley Method (AAHCC) certified childbirth educator.  I also began assisting midwives with births at home.  I am passionate about what I do.  My experience includes home, birth center and hospital births. Both medicated and unmedicated births.  As well as births attended by doctors and midwives.  I began my apprenticeship in midwifery officially in 2008. I worked with several midwives in the area as well as completed extensive study to complete my training as a traditional midwife. I have experience with both twin and breech births. I passed the NARM exam given by the North American Registry of Midwives giving me the title of Certified Professional Midwife (CPM). I am licensed with the state of Utah permitting me to carry anti-hemorrhage medication as well as other medications useful for birth.  I am currently taking midwifery clients as well as doula clients.

PHILOSOPHY

    I believe that a woman has an innate ability to birth her baby.  It is a normal physiological process not a medical event.  Women are often astounded by the options around them when they are nearing their time of birth. I believe that when women are given all their options, they will choose what is right for the health of their baby. I believe those present should trust the woman to know what is best for her and her baby. This leads to a sense of satisfaction and responsibility which follows them through the rest of their life. I believe in the value of women in service of other women.

There are many factors that play into a woman's choice for her birth.  Her emotional, physical, and psychological well being should be taken into account and her wishes supported.   Not fear, but understanding and intuition should be the motivating factors for her choices.  I believe all women have the right of loving support from her partner and if she desires a doula.  This is not a change she must undergo alone. 

My goal as a midwife, doula and educator is to provide women the skills and knowledge they need to have the birth they desire.  I believe birth is an amazing normal and natural experience and the birthing mother should be treated that way as well. I love working as a midwife in Southern Utah.

TRAINING and EDUCATION

Certified Nursing Assistant Training and Certification-1999-2004
Associate Degree General Studies From Salt Lake Community College-2001
Bachelors Degree in Psychology from Westminster College-2001                                    Applicable Classes taken: Anatomy, Physiology, Cell Biology, Nutrition, Statistics, Women Studies, Multiple Psychology courses, Sociology,Anthropology, Human and Child development, Prenatal Fitness,Yoga
DONA approved Doula Training - 2002
DONA International Doula Certification - 2002-2007
CAPPA Childbirth Educator Training-2003
CAPPA Certified Childbirth Educator -2003-2007
Bradley Method  of Husband Coached Childbirth Training-2005
Bradley Method or Husband Coached Childbirth Affiliated Instructor-2005-2007
Complete Beginnings Childbirth Classes 2007-current
Red Cross Certified Adult and Infant CPR-current
Neonatal Resuscitation-current
Numerous Advance courses through Colorado Doulas Association
Advanced Midwifery Courses including instruction in suturing, sterile water injections and obstetrical complications and from Midwifery College of Utah diagnostic tests and obstetrical pharmacology.
Midwifery Apprenticeship with Alternative Birth Services and Stork Services and Nature Works 2008-2011
Contributing author to Brio Birth Childbirth Education student workbook
Passed the North American Registry of Midwives (NARM)    exam granting me the title of  Certified Professional Midwife (CPM) 
Licensed with the state of Utah as a Licensed Direct Entry Midwife, LDEM
Regional Committee Member for the Utah Midwifery Association
Birth Emergency Skill Training (B.E.S.T.) Certified 
Prenatal and Postpartum Mental Health Class through The Healing Group
Volunteer Midwife at MamaBaby Haiti in Cap Haitian, Haiti July  2012
Volunteer Coordinator for MamaBaby Haiti
Academic Dean for Community School of Midwifery

No comments:

Post a Comment